From 2009 to 2013 she was the National President, the National Secretary from 2013-2018 and Editor of the AHPA newsletter, Update from 2011 to 2016. In her Board role, Suzanne steered the Association through some difficult times. Her drive and diligence coupled with her frank and fearless approach were critical to achieving many pieces of important AHPA work and demonstrated the depth of her dedication and loyalty to AHPA and to health promotion.
During her time with the Board Suzanne chaired several Board committees including the Governance Review Implementation Committee, Business Model Working Group, National Events Committee and the Executive and Finance, Risk Management and Audit Committee. Prior to that she held a range of positions with the NSW Branch. Suzanne was the Convenor of the 2018 National Health Promotion Symposium, the Co-Convenor of the 21st National Conference (2013) and a representative for AHPA on the Organising Committee for both the 2012 and the 2015 Population Health Congress. Suzanne was made a Fellow of AHPA in 2014.
To acknowledge and recognise Suzanne’s tenure, contribution and commitment to health promotion the Board resolved to establish the AHPA Suzanne Gleeson Professional Development Scholarship Fund. The purpose of the Fund is to support practitioners to develop their health promotion competencies with a particular focus on continuing professional development to support requirements related to practitioner registration. The Fund will support professional development around the determinants of health (particularly social and ecological) and health equity.
* Be a full, financial, individual (non-student) member for a minimum of 12 months prior to closing date.
* Be a member who in the view of the Association, has actively contributed to its development through
activities at a local level which contribute to the work of a Branch or the national organisation.
* Have not received an AHPA scholarship or bursary for professional development in the past two years.
Assessment of applications
* A panel will assess applications received by the closing date according to the purpose and criteria outlined.
* Applications outside the budget will not be considered.
* Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
* If no applications are suitable, the scholarship will not be awarded.
* The panel’s decision is final.
Suzanne Gleeson Professional Development Scholarship Fund 2021
In 2021 AHPA will offer a number of scholarships in two rounds. Scholarships of up to $1000 are available to participate in professional development activities that align to the purpose outlined above. Applications to participate in AHPA activities will be considered highly. Applications are encouraged from those from diverse backgrounds and those experiencing hardship.
How to apply
Complete the Application Form and return it according to the instructions outlined.